AFrican Electoral Time Table
All in the name of Democracy
No Presidential elections since 1992.
Parliamentary elections were held in August 2008 but were marred with irregularities.
Presidential elections are slated in 2009
Angola will hold presidential elections between May and August 2009. Voter registration will take place in late 2006 and through 2007. They were originally meant to be held in 1997, but were postponed numerous times due to organizational and logistical problems.
presidential election. will be held on April 2009.
Electoral process was suspended in 1992
This will be Fire works
3. Benin – Democratic
Elections held on March 2006
Next elections will be on March 2010
4. Botswana- Democracy – Election in 2009
National Assembly and local government elections 2009.
President elected by each new parliament
5. Burundi – Scheduled for 2010. Elections held in 2005 after the end of civil was between Tusti and Hutu tribes
6. Burkina Faso- Democratic
Presidential elections to be held in 2010
7. Cape Verde- Democratic with a Prime Minister elected by parliament. Next elections are in 2011
8. Cameroun Election held on 2 11 October 2004 Cameroon presidential Next elections are on October 2011
Cameroun has a democratic system of government
9. Chad elections were held in 2006
Next elections will be held in 2011
10. Central Africa Republic Democracy transitioned from military rule
presidential elections held in March and May of 2005
Next election will be held on
Next elections are in 2011
15. Equitorial Guniea
20. Ghana is an Emerging Democracy with two government since transition from Military rule of Jerry Rawlings
Elections were held on December 2007
21. Guinea Bissau
23. Ivory Coast
24. Kenya – Multi party democracy
December 2007 – stolen by incumbent President right now kenya has a coalition goverment. New elections will be held in 2012 December
41. Uganda Scheduled for 2011. Country is multiparty democracy. Last elections were held on 2006.
43South Africa – Democratic ANC is the dominant party havingWON with super majority the last three democratic elections
Elections scheduled April 2009
45. Samo Tome Principe
49. Zambia Elections were held on October 30, 2008 after untimely death of President Mwanawasa.
Source Zambia electroral Website
Profile of new president Rupiah Banda
Democratic – Zambia transition to democracy has been very smooth. So far this country is beacon of hope and stability.
53. Sierra Leone
I consulted the above link after I only came up with 46 countries from my cranial memory